Monday, November 27, 2006

lament for goddard's pie house

white tiles, wooden floor
long wooden tables with pew-like benches
pie and mash for £2.50
steak and kidney, chicken and mushroom, cheese and onion
eel liquor that i have yet to try
mash with enough gravy to fill a small swimming pool

best of all, piping hot rhurbarb crumble with custard
brought up the stairs to the table by the window on the second floor
custard overflowing the crumble dish into the bowl
savouring each spoonful while watching the street below
rain pouring down, people running for cover
me with my thoughts and my pie.

goddard's pie house, 1890 - 2006

you will be sorely missed. :o(

3 comments:

lady in the street said...

This isn't the one in Greenwich, is it?!?!

Anonymous said...

SOB, SOB, sniffle, sniffle...my heart is heavy with grief over this news instead of my stomach heavy with pie and custard ;o(

Anonymous said...

aww.. that place was cheap and good :(