Saturday, February 23, 2008

hot pot

well it's been three days since i got home...it's funny how my life is so different here than in london, primarily because i live with the parental unit while in toronto. there is always this "lull" when i first get home, settling in and whatnot, before my life picks up again. i have a feeling my time here will be busy.

i LOVE it when the plane isn't full and i get two seats to myself, ahhh...it's time like these that i curse not choosing the middle aisle, thereby getting a whole FOUR seats to myself!

i finally finished reading "the amber spyglass" by philip pullman, the last book in "his dark materials" trilogy, while on the plane home. i'm always kind of sad when i finish such a great book - i want to stay immersed in their world a little while longer - and you never have another chance to read the book for the first time. i would LOVE a daemon, though perhaps i already have one but just can't see him?

here are a few more pics of london (while walking along the southbank) the sunday before i left:



browsing for books



some guy on the edge of the thames at low tide creating a sand sculpture of a sea turtle



i liked the line of trees

CET :o)

3 comments:

Lianne said...

That was as sea turtle? My initial thought was crab when I saw the picture...

I enjoyed the Amber Spyglass too, although not as much as Northern Lights, certainly a lot better than the Subtle Knife. However it was quite a while ago since I read it (I have real trouble making it through SK, and thus normally give up half way through a re read), but one of the things I really remember as one of my favourite parts was seeing the chapter in the contents entitled "Lyra's Death" and then actually reading it, I loved how it actually turned out...

Canuckian's Evil Twin said...

thanks for the comment lianne! hello!

it's funny because while they're three separate books i don't see them that way - i don't really like one more than the other, perhaps because i read them pretty much back-to-back-to-back - the story was seamless in my mind. i do agree with you about "lyra's death" though; i too read the table of contents and was shocked to see that chapter title and was glad when i read it that it lyra didn't "actually" die!

i was also quite shocked/surprised at the intensity of love between will and lyra, i mean, they're only 12! not that you can't love like that at 12, but still, it was quite unexpected.

it will be interesting to see how the next film installment of the books plays out, as there was talk that they got rid of the references to god and angels to appease the bible-thumpers. goodness knows how the flimmakers did/will do that as god and angels is CENTRAL to the whole frickin' story.

CET :o)

kiwigirl said...

That makes me miss London. And I don't really like to think that I do!

xxx K