Tuesday, January 16, 2007

the juice

THE RANDOM SCOTTISH GUY I GAVE MY NUMBER TO BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS CALLED ME YESTERDAY!!!

how about that?

i was having an impromtu pub dinner with a friend last night when i missed a call on my mobile. i didn't recognize the number so i kept chatting to my friend. about ten minutes later my mobile rang again:

CET: hello?

SCOTTISH GUY: hello, (my real name)?

CET: yes?

SCOTTISH GUY: hi this is (his real name), we met a few weeks ago in brick lane.

CET: (long pause, as at this point i have no idea who this is as we had actually met in spitalfields, not brick lane (it's a street over) and so his statement confused me.) OHHH, HI!

talk about being bloody surprised. i actually told him that i didn't think he'd call, as it's not everyday i give my number to a complete stranger expecting a reply. he said he was really impressed with how brave i was to approach him like that, and that i seemed kind. we had a quick chat and i told him i'd call him once i got home, as i didn't want to keep talking to him while still in the pub. practically flew back to my flat and gave him a quick ring - long story short, we have a date on thursday!!! woohoo!!!

he sounded slightly nervous on the phone which i thought was sweet; he has a lovely scottish accent, sing-songy and lilting, that i already like a lot. after my conversation with him i ran into the living room and told vij everything; she launched into 'first date planning mode' - what to wear, purse checklist, where to eat, what to eat, what not to eat, etc. - i honestly don't care about any of that stuff (although i will dress so as to look as cute and sexy as possible, of course); i'm just happy that i'm meeting someone so completely new and different, and i'm excited at all the possibilites that lie ahead, friendship or otherwise.

lesson for today: GIVE YOUR NUMBER TO A COMPLETE STRANGER!

giddy,
CET :o)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done!

I'm very interested to know what is on the purse checklist???

Anonymous said...

Very impressive! He was probably counting down the days until your return, rehearsing the phone conversation in his head, imagining the first date...hahahaha! Way to go chica!
jess

kiwigirl said...

Hey honey

That is so very cool :) I'm so proud! HA!

xx K

Anonymous said...

Wicked!!! So very awesome of you CET, You make us proud with her courage. Can't wait to hear how it goes...

J.L said...

Wow! That's great! I'm sure you'll have another "secret" to tell me the next time I see you.

You know, I think this kind of thing works only for girls giving their numbers to guys.

But I'll try anyway in China.

Anonymous said...

yay! you rock!

Anonymous said...

Jeez CET, why didn't you perform this experiment and report the results back when I was single? If I'd known the secret was just to TALK to people of the opposite sex and not stare piercingly into their thoughts, I might have got a little plaaaaaay...and fewer restraining orders.

It's Friday, so how was the date?!?!? Please tell me that you acted like yourself and not some first-date-imaginary-person.