Monday, March 20, 2006

pass/fail

we finally got our marks from last term today. i knew the transcripts would be available in the registry, and made a mental note not to dash down there before class at 9am, but instead just saunter in sometime after tutorial.

no such luck.

as soon as i swung open the school doors, i was hit with a crowd of people around a tiny desk, the registry staff furiously handing out transcripts as names were called/shouted at them from all sides. the anticipation in the air was as thick as molasses; a surge of anxiety hit me as i made my way to the front of the desk.

i greeted the registry staff and said "uh-oh, judgement day. eeekkk!" they handed me my transcript (which was in an envelope) and i made my way through the crowd to find a patch of linoleum where i could stand and read my marks in peace.

my mind and eyes were a blur; i couldn't see anything on the paper except the word "PASS". whew. four marks, one of them passed. i quickly scanned the rest of the paper, looking for three more passes.

scan, scan, scan - PASS
scan, scan, scan - PASS
scan, scan, scan - PASS

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!! a bubble of joy and sheer relief welled up inside me and i hugged the first person i saw in the crowd that i recognised. HALLELUJAH!!!

we of course then compared the nitty gritty marks, and (not to toot my own horn) i didn't do too shabbily. well, my pharmacology mark wasn't so hot (BUT I PASSED) and i thought i had done better in biochemistry (BUT I PASSED) so i didn't care, i was just happy.

classmate T and i celebrated by spending the next couple of hours at the british museum, where i checked out the lewis chessmen (i've always wanted to see them since seeing some of the pieces in edinburgh many years ago) and we had tea and cake in the fancy-schmancy cafe. there's nothing like rewarding one's hard work by taking in a little culture, he he he...

i also flirted with my professor during my afternoon lab. he's about thirty-something, kinda cute (nice arms), and is an excellent lecturer. again, if only he wasn't my teacher...i wonder if i was really obvious though? probably.

time for bed!

CET

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I knew you'd do well. You are a nerd! Woohoo, my little science geek ;o)

Ah, the Lewis chessmen, I remember them! How cool ;o)

I watched the Montreal Canadiens beat the Washington Capitals 4-2 tonight...Oh yeah, a great day for Canadians all around!

kiwigirl said...

Congrats honey! Thats brilliant!

xx k

Anonymous said...

Excellent news!! I'm so very proud of you and all you've accomplished:)

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! You're such a Mrs. Smarty-Pants