Sunday, March 26, 2006

staring...

...at the computer all day...my eyes are starting to hurt...

i've been looking at the recent entries of my favourite blogs, msning with mutton face and e-mail (i miss you guys!), and just surfing in general. postsecret is my blog of choice at the moment; people send handmade postcards detailing their most personal secret, and a selection of these postcards are posted on the blog every sunday. this article in usa today will tell you more about it. needless to say it's a really creative concept and a compelling one at that, but i'll let you check it out and decide for yourselves.

check out this link too, and play the film entitled "yellow fever", by wong fu productions. it is HILARIOUS! this came to my attention courtesy of my ex-bf from university. also check out the bloopers reel they have as well, it was almost as funny as the film!

i saw "syriana" on friday and holy smokes, if even a tenth of that fictional film was true in real life, i can completely understand why the world hates the US.

i was in the grocery store on saturday, waiting in the check-out line, and when my turn came up the young, kinda cute, white british cashier looks at me for a while before blurting out the only phrase he knows in my mother tongue. this happens, A LOT. i don't know why people do this - is it to show they're cultured? that they "understand" me? depending on the situation i find this behaviour offensive at times, while at others i find it just mildly annoying. sometimes i tell them to "fuck off" as i know they do it just to be an ignorant dick, but other times i think it stems from something more genuine, like they're trying to "connect" with me, so i try to educate them in the few seconds where we interact. i also find this situation happens a lot over here in the uk and europe in general, whereas at home in T.O. it NEVER happens. why is this the case? i don't want to go so far as to say people on this side of the pond are more ignorant - perhaps this way of interaction is more accepted here? maybe they're less politically correct? - or perhaps it's just not as much of an issue at home as it is here. but why? comments are appreciated!

CET

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, the secrets on postcards show came to D.C. a while ago! My friends went to see it and said it was great. That's cool that you found the blog. I'll definitely keep checking for new postcards.

You know how I feel about the "Oh, I know how to say hello in your language" thing ;oP

J.L said...

What did he say?

Canuckian's Evil Twin said...

he said "how are you?"

it's what they always say!

CET

kiwigirl said...

I think I'm missing something here?

Why are you so offended by it?

What don't I get?

J.L said...

kiwigirl.. it's like saying "Put some shrimp on the BARBEEEE" to an Austrilian..

or like .. "Jolly Good mate" (in an exagerated tone) to a British person from an American.

Like cliche lines but more annoying.

kiwigirl said...

Yeah but I get that type of stuff all the time. Do you have any idea how many sheep joke I hear? But I didn't think that was Evil Twins point?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.. I guess they're not used to the multicultured-ness of Toronto that we are. We can go onto an elevator in T.O. and have 20 different nationalities on it (and usually there are only 15 people on it...i.e. mixed kids). I get somewhat the same thing here. Instead of saying somehting in my mother tongue, they ask me what I am. I respond "Canadian". Then they say "but where do you come from?" and I reply "Toronto". It gets frustrating but it's the truth. I don't come from another other country than Canada. I was born and raised here.

kiwigirl said...

I think its fair to say that Londontown is fairly multi-cultural.

And I think the question 'where do you come from' - could occur everywhere. And I can understand why that is annoying.

Anonymous said...

Lai ho ma. Isn't that "what up" in Chinese? I hope you don't mind, but it's my sorry-ass way of connecting with you. Forgive checkout boy, I think you have it right when you say it's a rather sad attempt to show that their cultured. Maybe, when I come visit you, we can mull the whole situation over some chinese herbal tea and dim sum, while i'm wearing my top emblazoned with chinese characters that don't mean anything to me...and for that matter most chinese people. Sound good?