Thursday, November 10, 2005

awkward silence

it's starting to frustrate me how NO ONE in my tutor group EXCEPT ME speaks up when my lovely prof. b asks us a question. he asks us about everything; how school's going, what we think of the course, professors, likes, dislikes, how life outside of school is, pretty much everything under the sun. his questions are always met with an awkward silence, like it's so weird to actually speak up and have something to say. it drives me insane. these tutor meetings have the potential to be so helpful and productive and they're not, because no one shares anything except me. i don't want to monopolize the conversation but i invariably do. i even ask for the others' opinions and they just look at me like "why are you picking on me, i have nothing to say". how can someone have nothing to say? no opinion or feeling on anything, EVER??? and the other students in my tutor group all have first degrees like me, are all considered "mature" students, and yet they still aren't able to offer anything to a round-table discussion. prof. b isn't even intimidating, so they can't use that as an excuse. poo.

had two classes and i'm done for the day. time to go home and, what else, EAT!

CET

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, have you considered talking to Prof. B alone about the awkward silence situation (I know you'd like that)? Then he'll know that you are trying because no one else is and he can also think about other ways to engage the students. Talk to you later!

Canuckian's Evil Twin said...

thanks for the suggestions ladies, i think i will have a little chat with prof. b...

CET

Canuckian's Evil Twin said...

i'll try talking to the students too!