Monday, May 22, 2006

america-land

hello from dc!

well, a lot has happened since i landed on these american shores friday afternoon. being the lazy butt that i am, here are some thoughts/comments in point form:

- US customs sucks ass SOOO large...spent an hour an a half waiting to see a customs agent, only to have the one i did see not know ANYTHING about his own job - he kept tapping the glass wall to get his co-worker's attention, asking him questions like "what stamp do i put on her passport? what code is she? oops, i made a mistake," blah blah blah...INCOMPETENT! that's US security for you.

- i (inadvertently) managed to pick up an american guy on the shuttle bus from the airport to the subway station! we started chatting because i sat in the seat he wanted to sit in because it had more leg room (and he's pretty tall); all-american straight out of kansas, literally! gave me his email address when we were on the subway, told me to email him if i got bored of studying once back in london...see, when it rains, it pours!

- the number of morbidly obese people i've seen in this city since friday is astounding. seriously, at both of canuckian's graduation ceremonies there were families upon families of morbidly obese people, it was actually quite shocking.

- supa-sized everything! went grocery-shopping with canuckian today and i had forgotten how with everything here, FRIGGIN' HUGE is the standard size. her shampoo bottle is about the size of my head!

- i am lovin' the food here...we had tapas, thai, asian fusion, japanese, uhhh...all yummy, all excellent, and enough leftovers for a complete meal the next day!

- george bush sr. and barbara bush spoke at my sister's graduation...it was pretty cool but i missed most of it because i was at the mcdonald's inside the air and space museum getting food for canuckian...i don't EVER have mcdonald's, but there are times where it is necessary because either a) it's the only thing there or b) you have very little money.

- surprising our parents was the BEST! canuckian prepared them right before they knocked on the door, saying there was something special waiting on the other side...i opened the door and my mom screamed her head off while my dad hugged me and kept himself from crying, what sweeties. it was so nice spending time with them and just being a family together again. all we did while they were here (they left today for home) was eat and nap and eat and nap, so like my family...

- i love how green it is here, grass and trees and flowers and bushes EVERYWHERE...even though london has huge and beautiful parks, there's hardly any green elsewhere and i miss that.

- teaism, my oh-so-favourite cafe in dc (www.teaism.com) - mugs of tea so big you can swim in it, candied-ginger scones to die for, and an asian-fusion breakfast/lunch/dinner menu that is out of this world...

sillyhead: sorry i didn't tell you about my visit to dc! i will be home this summer don't you worry, so we will meet up then...

okay, must get off the computer so canuckian can do her homework. an hour to go before our afternoon trip for ginger scones...

CET :o)
p.s. i am so happy i am here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to leave a comment even though you are standing right here - I'm so happy you are here too!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Excitement to be in the States; I have never heard of such a thing. Clearly you experienced some sort of life-threatening trauma on the flight over and have misdirected your pleasure at surviving to a delight at being in the nation's capitol. I seem to remember that DC was the murder capitol of the USA a couple of years ago...does it still retain that title? Have the smog-filled skies kept their ability to delight sunset viewers? It sounds like the floraengineers have really improved their talents for installing plastic vegetationmimicry. Good show! I hope you are taking the proper precautions to disinfect your ginger biscuits ("scones"? eh?) of their typically high concentrations of PCPs.

By the way...hey Canuckian! How are things going, down in the Cesspool on the Potomac? Swimmingly I hope!

Canuckian's Evil Twin said...

correction: i am happy to be here with my family, NOT happy to be in the evil empire, though the weather's lovely at the moment...

CET :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sillyhead! The Cesspool on the Potomac is actually getting a bit better I hear due to the efforts of local environmental groups. It's still not a pretty sight in certain areas though, no surprise there. As for me, I'm surprised I'm not 300 pounds from living in the land of supersized portions and inactivity. I attribute it to my Canadian disdain for American-style overconsumption. I hope all is well with you in your area of the evil empire!