Tuesday, January 24, 2006

tonya harding, bring it on!

so today's studying was shot to hell when i broke for lunch at 2ish, watched a documentary about using science to dispell conspiracy theories on diana's death, then headed out the door for some SKATING!!!

WWWHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...

kiwigirl's workplace had an extra ticket so i jumped at the opportunity. IT WAS GREAT! we skated at somerset house, the first of the museums to put an ice rink together for public skates.

i was itching to hit the ice and when i did it felt like home. the rink was small and there were too many people on it, so i had to weave in and out of the crowd; despite that, skating made me just sooo happy - i felt like a kid again! funny how the simple act of skating on thin, man-made ice in a clockwise fashion can fill me with such joy.

the air was nice and crisp too, courtesy of a cold front moving in from germany. i was glad for the chill; the sharpness of the cold seems to bring the world more into focus.

it was funny watching the non-skaters try to skate, because they consisted of mostly grown men, who, if we were in canada, would normally be the best skaters on the ice! watching them fall was hilarious. and yes, i am mean because when they fell i laughed out loud.

the zamboni was driving around when i went to return my skates; i overheard two ladies talking about "that machine that fills the grooves in the ice with water, blah blah blah" and i'm thinking "would this conversation EVER exist in canada? it's called a ZAMBONI!!!"

it was a very happy day.

CET

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean about the cold bringing everything into focus - I love it! I want to try and go skating next week - just have to find a place to get my skates sharpened. Not an easy task where I am ;o)

kiwigirl said...

haha - i was one of those people that sucked :) but at least I didnt fall.

xx K

Anonymous said...

I wanna go skating...but the damn weather here is so unpredictable lately. And I only like outdoor skating especially at Nath Phillip Square. Good luck on those exams.

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried ice skating yet but yes Skiing last year was highlight of the year. Makes me wanna put the skiing gear on and off I go down the hills... those days...lol
Glad to hear you had a great day!
Cheers

PS: Did you figure out who I am CET?